Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Hamster Wheel

There is nothing better than the first day of a vacation week - seven days of emptiness stretching out before me.

Except that we will be driving approximately 2,500 miles to be with family and friends. That's a lot of driving.

But still. Back to the peaceful music.

I love HoneyFern School, and I love what I do. It is challenging, rewarding, fulfilling and intellectually stimulating. I do not love, however, my total inability to relax on the weekends. I am so wound up in my head after a week with kids ages 5-14 (between HoneyFern and tutoring, I have grades K-9) that it is nearly impossible for me to unwind. Sleeping in is a pipe dream, and lounging on the couch with a cup of hot chocolate, daydreaming out the window is laughable. I can't slow down the hamster in the wheel of my brain long enough to just be. Cooking helps some, as does going down to the barn.

So a week-long vacation is about right - two days to slow down, four days to visit, and one day to get ready to go back to work. That's the plan anyway. We'll see what the hamster has to say about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment