Sunday, January 22, 2012

Expanding Our Culture!

This coming Tuesday we will welcome a mid-year student, Monica, to HoneyFern. Monica is an American-born Nicaraguan who was raised in Nicaragua and moved to Atlanta just last week; she greeted me at my door with a kiss on the cheek, and we got to spend several hours today getting to know her family.

I am looking forward to getting to know her better as we work together, learning about her culture as she learns about ours. I am putting myself in her shoes as I plan for her work; she is immersed in a new culture, learning a language that she has very little experience in, with a separate branch of her family. She has to become accustomed to new food, new music, new technology and a suddenly expanded world.

Where would you start? What would you need to know the most in order to not be overwhelmed and discouraged? What essential advice would you give her as she starts her new life?

No comments:

Post a Comment