Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Being Your Own Teacher

Either I am psychic or the forces in the universe have been lining up lately. It seems like most topics I have written about have been cropping up in other articles and infographics this week.  Case in point: ditching college and writing your own plan for learning.

We are goal writing here at HoneyFern ahead of fall conferences next week, and the above-referenced article outlines the steps we took last week to articulate what we will accomplish this year, starting with identifying what it is you want to do, figuring out what you already know and what you need to learning, and elucidating the steps required to get there. You need to also identify people who can help you and experiences you will need to have in order to meet your goal.

Personalized learning rules. As I write this, I have not yet read my students' goals (I don't read first drafts), but I love the fact that here at HoneyFern, we are able to do this. It is a privilege for me to be able to listen to my students and help them achieve their goals, in and out of school. Teaching this way (being led by the student) is probably 300% more challenging (random number, but you get the idea!), but it is infinitely more rewarding. I get to see students' confidence grow; they take more risks in their education and aren't afraid to try. So many students in my past in public school were afraid to even start, to try, to step out; they had for so long been given the answer and pointed on the one correct path that when asked to think they were frozen. Not here. I don't give answers; I ask questions.

It is a rainy day as I write this, the perfect time to read what my students want to do with themselves this year. It is an honor to help them be their own teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment